Sunday, August 16, 2009

Wachusett "Larry" Imperial IPA



After having been a fan of my hometown's brewery & beer from its founding in 1994, I finally joined the Wachusett Brewery's 'Growler Guild' last Saturday, because I really wanted to try their new double IPA, which is available only on tap. I brought a full growler down to a family gathering at our lot on Wyman's Pond, shared the half-gallon out, and enjoyed my four pints immensely. And on the way down to a small LakeFest yesterday, I stopped by the brewery (located in scenic Westminster, MA) and happily got my jug refilled for $8.50.

It's funny, I sat down to write a serious beer review, but I realize I don't have a proper grasp of the terminology to describe things in the 'official' language of beer. All I know is that if you love the hoppy aroma and taste of a good IPA, the Larry ramps it up a few notches. It has a fruity-bready smell that I can't get enough of. Be warned: the 7.10% ABV (alcohol by volume) sneaks up on you rather quickly though, so make sure you eat as you drink, or at least pace yourself. Due to the weather down at Wyman's Pond being so exceptional, and the beer being so amazingly delicious, I downed that growler pretty rapidly (except for the pint I poured for my friend Jim C)... I also had a few bottles of the Wachusett Nut Brown, a perennial favorite of mine.

If anyone out there has the knack for writing about beer (and/or wine), and a hankerin' to see yourself in print, feel free to submit a beer review to NotLameMinus@gmail.com. If we like what we read, we will publish it with full credit to you, the author, and would consider allowing space for a regular column for you, as Christopher has for his weekly album reviews. Plus, I will personally send you the "NLM Brew Reviewer" cap for you to be photographed in with each beer you write about! ☺

Wachusett Larry Imperial IPA - get it on tap at the Wachusett Brewery while it lasts! Open Wednesday through Saturday, noon to 5pm (6pm on Thu & Fri). 175 State Road East Westminster, MA 01473

Photo: Rob, Brian & his new friend Nikki.

2 comments:

  1. I like Wachusett beers. And the mountain too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, the NLM Brew Reviewer cap is no longer with us.

    ReplyDelete