Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Joe's Coffee House

The fine folks at Groupon had a deal a few weeks ago for $35 of coffee for $15 (plus free shipping for Groupon customers!) at Joe's Coffee House. I couldn't pass it up, so I bought two, one for my mom's birthday gift (today - happy birthday, Ma!), and one for myself. I chose to spend it on one-pound bags of whole-bean Guatemala Antigua ($11.95) and Costa Rican Tarrazu Dota ($11.95), as well as a 2 oz. burlap bag of Jamaica Blue Mountain ($8.95), plus a Wicked Jack Tavern rum cake (caramel - $15.95) that I have yet to taste. Now, for the record, I would never spend twelve bucks for a one-pound bag, and certainly not nine bucks for two measly ounces. But the Groupon made it a very reasonable deal, and a chance to experience several coffee styles for which I might otherwise not feel justified in shelling out the dough...

I had the Jamaican Blue with breakfast. It had a fresh aroma coming out of the bag, and filled the room with a nice scent while it brewed. It was probably the smoothest cup of coffee I have had in years, reminiscent of many of the finer diners I have had breakfast in, and the taste was decent, but overall it was rather boring. There was no character, no uniqueness, or anything to really
deserve the write-up on the website: "Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee from Wallenford is known worldwide as one of the most rare and most expensive of all Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffees. This unique Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee presents an intense aroma combined with the perfect balance of acidity and body. This premium Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is medium roasted. Although the rarity of Blue Mountain has contributed to great mystique surrounding this fine gourmet coffee, it is the rich taste, distinct aroma and consistent quality that produces the truly unique Wallenford Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee experience." Now, I suppose if 'middle of the road' (a medium roast with no remarkable characteristics), and consistency across every pot brewed are what you are looking for, this may be the coffee for you. But at $29.95 for an 8 oz. bag, it is SO not worth the price.

I'm drinking a cup of the Guatemala Antigua as I write this, and let me tell you, what a find! When I broke the seal on the bag, a cloud of deep 'coffeeish' aroma, but with a strong component of chocolate brought my nose to attention. Once I had ground the beans, a sharp smoky tang was evident. And when the pot was done brewing, the coffee was a rich dark brown, with a light brown froth around the rim. It's hard to describe the aroma - almost like some freshly-sawed exotic hardwood. The taste is bold yet smooth, but with no real hint of the chocolate found in the unground beans. A pleasing aftertaste that doesn't coat the tongue finishes the cup. I find it leagues ahead of the Jamaican, and it's nearly 2/3 less in price!

I look forward to trying the Costa Rican tomorrow, as well as hearing what my mom thinks of the ones she eventually tries (shipping takes an eternal two weeks!). Check out Joe's if you get the chance, and Groupon as well (they have fantastic deals in most major metropolitan areas on all kinds of things: restaurants, spas, outdoor activities, etc...). And if any of you would like to review a coffee or beer or wine, please send a note to NotLameMinus@gmail.com - we would love to have a guest reviewer from time to time!

UPDATE 10/15: I had the Costa Rican Tarrazu Dota with breakfast this morning. It had a light woody aroma out of the bag, which was more intense once ground. It brewed to a medium dark color with no froth. I was pretty shocked to discover it to be the most mild coffee I have ever had. It has a pleasant, if unassuming flavor. Quite delicious, but it almost felt like I was drinking a kids' version of what coffee should be. Serviceable, but I'd only recommend it for people who prefer no mystery or exotic 'non-flavored' flavor in their cup, or as an occasional change from the wide variety of bolder beans out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment