Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cambridge & Somerville Nights

Last night all five (Brian, Gavin, Jay, Rob and I) Not Lame Minus guys got together in the Boston area for dinner and a few beers...

I hopped in my car at 4:35, sped north up 495, banged a right onto Route 2 East, and pulled into Alewife around 5:30. Then, one quick Charlie Card charge-up & a short Red Line ride to Harvard Square found me on a bar stool next to Jay at John Harvard's Brewhouse.

I had one of their house Pale Ales (which is always good), and then on Jay's recommendation I tried the cask conditioned session ale they were featuring. A session ale is one that has a lower alcohol content so as to be fully experienced and enjoyed over a leisurely evening. This particular beer tasted like an exotic chocolate dessert, and even had a pleasant aftertaste, but it didn't quite fit in how an ale that is being imbibed during a night out with the guys should, so I only drank half of it. If I could remember the name of it, I'd love to have it down at the lake sometime.

Gavin arrived soon after, and as we caught up on things (I hadn't seen him since our group trip to Oak Bluffs last April with Brian) I happily returned to the house ale. A bit later Brian & Rob walked in after their trip down from New Hampshire seacoast, the five of us had one beer as a group, and then Jay headed home. The rest of us moved to a table and had dinner. Our waitress was a tiny elfin blonde with a big smile. I was instantly smitten (it's times like these when I wish I still lived in Boston). She was very friendly, and I couldn't stop smiling whenever she was around. What a fine enhancement to the convivial atmosphere! Anyway, I had the always excellent fish and chips with another ale, and the four of us fell into a comfortable eat & gab session, talking mostly about our jobs (or lack thereof), the economy, and the possibility of renting a house for a week this summer on either Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. It was great to just hang out like that for the first time in ages, with no time constrictions.

Then it was off to nearby Tommy Doyle's for another beer. We walked in, headed up to our relatively familiar haunt on the top floor (The Loft), but it was mostly a dinner crowd, so we headed down to the basement. The experience in this part of the bar was mixed: We scored a central circular booth and all slid in, and got served a round by a spunky wavy-haired brunette. I had a Harpoon IPA, but after the superior John Harvard Pale Ale, it seemed rather low-quality, which is odd, because I usually love that particular beer. The beer may have been lacking, but the view from our table was spectacular - a group of four thin yet curvy girls who had a hypnotic tendency to do a lot of animated posing and stretching as they talked to their goofy male companions. However the place was far too loud to truly enjoy the atmosphere, so we left after that one round. Gavin bid us good evening and headed home, while Rob & I hiked with Brian to the latter's car for a quick ride over to Davis Square.

We went right to Joshua Tree, a bright airy bar with many televisions showing sports and a very attractive bartending staff. We got seats at the door side of the bar, and alternated between rounds of beer and water (reflecting the ambivalence we felt about how long to continue the evening at that point). Our friend Erik popped in with a couple of friends after a bit (him having called me while we were in the car to see where I was in the city), and he split his time between us and his chums. He must have been in heaven (while we were all in hell): it was 80's Night in the dj booth... *UGH* The last thing I want to do while hanging in a bar in 2010 with friends, is hear the soundtrack of my junior high years. That being said, there were a lot of the better songs of the era, and Brian & I each got to observe and interact with our personal favorite bartenders from a previous visit. Alas gentlemen, no matter how intriguing, I think a "City Duck" is not allowed... (haha).

Anyway, after a last rally it was off to Redbones. We made a beeline for downstairs, and *shock of shocks* there were empty seats at the bar! I have been going there for nearly fifteen years, and this was only the 2nd time I'd been able to actually sit at the bar and interact with one of their cute bartenders. They had the delicious Opa Opa IPA on tap, so I ended the drinking portion of the evening with one of those fine ales and a mild flirtation with the brown curly haired bartender (a sexy 30-something with curves & a smile that matched her engaging personality). Finally, just before 1 am there was one last glass of ice water all around before we left, and then after we piled into his car again, Brian was nice enough to drop me at Alewife, saving me a tedious T ride before my long drive home. A fine ending to a laid-back yet kick-ass night with all of the Not Lame Minus crew!

4 comments:

  1. Joshua Tree's easily my favorite. And it should be for obvious reasons. Three tv's covering hockey? In one bar? I LOVE it! One was even the BC/UNH game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really like Joshua Tree too, but Redbone's will always be my favorite in that general area (tied with The Burren).

    The bottom floor of Tommy Doyle's would have kicked ass if it hadn't been so damned loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cut & Paste Beeeeeeeeyotch! Cut & Paste!!!

    ReplyDelete